How To Dress Your Body Type: How to Wear Skinny Jeans
Ever feel like your hips completely overwhelm your figure in skinny jeans? Like your bottom half just DOUBLED in size? Ever wonder how everyone seems to pull off skinny jeans just fine when you don’t feel they flatter you at all?
WELL, I’m here to share some tips for how to dress your body type in the best skinny jeans, no MATTER your shape or your age (all of the following examples are of middle-aged women!)! With skinnies appearing in more textures, prints, colors, and styles than EVER, you DON’T have to miss out on this creative way to don pant-wear! Get the juicy details about how to wear skinny jeans now!
If you are TRIANGLE shaped, which means your hips are wider around than your bust, you may feel that every time you try on skinny pants you end up grabbing another size up! To dress for your body type, stick with the following guidelines..
What To Wear With Skinny Jeans if you are Triangle Shaped:
- Try to only pair skinnies with a heel or boot. The skinny pant follows the curve of your leg and hugs your ankles, which can draw more attention to your bottom half. If you’re obsessed with ballet flats, then roll up your skinnies to pull off this look.
- Don’t wear a short tee or tank! Stick with long tops and blouses that glide easily over your hips.
- Stick with the tight and baggy rule: If you have skinny jeans on the bottom, wear a loose top. If you have a tight blouse, better to wear your bootcut jeans instead!
- If wearing skinny jeans, pair with a top that accentuates your waist and bust, or reveal your waist with a skinny belt!
Check out how bottom-heavy Reese Witherspoon appears to have hourglass proportions in this chic ensemble:
What To Wear With Skinny Jeans if you are Hourglass Shaped:
If you are HOURGLASS shaped (same measurements around your bust and hips), you an envied by women everywhere! Don’t get a big head – you may appear bottom-heavy if you don’t treat this fashion trend with care. To dress for your body type, follow the guidelines for Triangle Shaped figures, with these exceptions:
- You’re allowed to break the tight and baggy rule. BUT don’t wear a shirt that’s too short or it’ll look skimpy. It’s always a good idea to wear long blouses when you have hefty hips!
- Another great trick is to stick with monochromatic color. The same color from top to bottom is incredibly slimming! Check out what curvaceous Kim Kardashian did to streamline her figure in a black blazer and skinnies:
How To Wear Skinny Jeans if you are Linear Shaped:
From here on, it’s a breeze! If you are LINEAR-shaped, which means you are small on top and have flat hips, skinny jeans are your best friend. GO CRAZY and invest in several pairs. You’ll make the triangle and even hourglass figures jealous!
- Because skinny jeans hug the curve of your leg and accentuate your hips and rear, they’ll give you curves where you didn’t have them before!
- Another good tip for how to dress for your body type: wear skinny jeans that have big pockets on the behind! This will make you appear larger and cause your booty to look absolutely appetizing!
Jessica Alba looks great in dark-wash denim and a short tee and blazer:
How To Wear Skinny Jeans If You Are An Inverted-Triangle Shape:
Last but not least, we have the INVERTED-TRIANGLE shape! This describes women who measure larger on top than around the bottom (we may just envy you too…).
- The goal here is to make your bottom half appear as large as your top! Therefore, to dress for your body type, follow the tips above for your linear-shaped friends, with one exception…
- To minimize your top, don’t wear skin tight shirts or tops with detail around the bust! A v-neck blouse or plain tee in a dark shade will accentuate the positive without making you appear top-heavy.
Catherine Zeta-Jones shows us how to wear skinnies while disguising her large bust and bringing proportion to her bottom half:
Want to know where to find a great pair of skinnies? Here are a few of my top picks:
StyleSetGo is your own personal online stylist and shopper service. Give us a few clicks, and we’ll give you flattering wardrobe recommendations, called Style Sets, chosen for you by our professional image consultants.